Thursday, July 7, 2011

España and Aging

As apparent from my last post, Andrew and I made an incognito trip to Spain. We wanted to surprise his little sister for her graduation in order to give her a present: ourselves.

You are welcome.

Youngest child that she be, we assumed little Elisa was probably feeling unimportant and that people don't pay enough attention to her in general, so we decided to buy tickets to Spain in order to attend her high school graduation and ward off any encroaching "no one really loves me" issues she may be experiencing.

The Browns: Doing what we can for the youngest children of the world. 



While I watched Elizabeth's graduation, I couldn't help but feel that I too, like the 18-year-olds before me, had just graduated from high school. As in, I'm still a relatable, understanding, not-a-regular mom but a-cool-mom, spontaneous, able to actually stand back up after picking something up from the floor teenager.

So riddle me this, youth. How is it that my ten-year reunion is actually next summer? As in 12 months away. And the last person I told my age to responded with: "Oh wow." Surely it hasn't been almost a decade since I threw my graduation cap in the air and won a green oscillating fan at graduation night and not a Playstation like everyone else.

This may also explain why I was recently traumatized from watching the movie Never Been Kissed. The plot feels a lot creepier when you're closer to the age of the cool hockey teacher and not the Drew Barrymore student.

Big events like graduations or birthdays or weddings have a way of making you feel old...or at least making you more aware of your age. And now that I am closer to 30 than I am to 18, I'm trying to focus on the positive things I have to look forward to, like puppies and babies -- neither of which I have, mind you.

All I have going for me right now is a new ice cream maker and season three of Prison Break on Netflix. And two pans of cinnamon rolls in the fridge. If that's not a recipe for happiness, then I don't know what is. And by happiness I of course mean obesity. 

But the idea of a baby is beginning to sound more appealing. Perhaps this comes in part from my recent awareness that there is some type of modeling gene present in the Brown family, and I'm not sure how to isolate it for reproductive purposes.







But they all have it.




Even the friends have it.



Though I feel it may be slightly recessive in Andrew.





I only said "slightly," dear husband.

Sooo here's hoping recessive wins out in our collective gene lottery because I'm pulling for my child to make it on Tyra's Next Top Model cycle 63: Toddler Edition.




And Lord knows I need something to brag about at my reunion.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please have a child! Even if Andrew is lacking the modeling gene (maybe I should say mildly) we all know you are one HOT mama. Also, I feel old, but still think I am in high school. I kind of thought MTV might come knocking on my door when I announced my pregnancy..."oh, there's another high schooler getting knocked up." Thankfully no one showed up.

Mary-Anne said...

Oh my goodness, you're hilarious. Maybe you should have a baby, but beware: Being pregnant quite frankly, SUCKS. I've been told it's worth it, but when you're vomiting for 4 months straight, it's hard to imagine. I think you would make beautiful babies, though! And I can't believe my HS 10 year reunion is next summer either. Um, I JUST graduated like last year. Weird.

Karyn said...

Thanks for spreading the nausea that comes with growing old, especially since I don't even have any cinnamon rolls to comfort me. I'm having withdrawal symptoms from quality foods and Southern activities. Sad face.

Amanda B said...

You realize I would watch America's Next Top Model cycle 63: Toddler Edition everyday, don't you?

I feel like you're secretly searching for affirmation and encouragement about this decision...so here it goes:
HAVE A (model) BABY! Not only would everyone visit you, but I could babysit for you and have your baby's ears pierced! (Flashback to Rachel's sister babysitting Emma in F.r.i.e.n.d.s) :D

lyndsey said...

-"I am going to be a baby stylist. I'm gonna help babies learn how to accessorize, what colors to wear, what clothes are slimming..."

-"Babies don't care if they're slim."

-"...Enter Amy."